Allow Yourself To Be Led...



Walking the trail beside the Charles River.
The view upstream...




This was a long, hot and humid walk from home...




















When I was growing up my mother would often say: The only thing you can depend on is change. I have found that to be true in my life. By the time our family arrived in Colorado, if I counted accurately, I had moved more than 20 times throughout my life. Sometimes I was sad, a few times I had a bad attitude, occasionally I was excited, but most often I have had a mix of emotions which is how I feel now about my move to Boston. I miss all of my Colorado friends dearly but as I contemplate the events that have led to this move I can recognize God’s guidance and I'm grateful for the opportunity.

Because of my own life experiences, I’ve pondered quite a bit about all the people in the scriptures who have journeyed to far off lands and what that must have been like for them. The family of Nephi, the brother of Jared, Moses and the children of Israel, the early Latter-Day Saints and others were led by God, not knowing beforehand the things that they should do, where they would end up, or how exactly they were going to get there. They had to choose to believe that God wanted something better for them and that even if it was long and difficult He would help them make the journey. A literal move to another place is not required however, for us to learn from and become people who allow themselves to be changed and led to a promised land. 

The Book of Mormon story of Alma and his son Alma the younger’s journey have been particularly instructional to me over the past few years. Alma had been one of King Noah’s wicked priests but he began his journey of change when he heard the teachings of the prophet Abinadi. This prompted him to repent of his wickedness and begin teaching others what he had learned. Eventually he moved with his friends to a place where they would be safe.

Nevertheless the Lord seeth fit to chasten his people; yea, he trieth their patience and their faith. (Mosiah 23: 21-22)

Things were going well for a while until the Lamanite army came in and took control of the city:

But Alma went forth and stood among them, and exhorted them that they should not be frightened, but that they should remember the Lord their God and he would deliver them. Therefore they hushed their fears, and began to cry unto the Lord that he would soften the hearts of the Lamanites (Mosiah 23:27-28)

And the Lord did soften the hearts of the Lamanites to not kill them, but Alma and his people were no longer free. Guards controlled their city, they were persecuted, bullied and treated as slaves, and were not allowed to pray out loud or they would be put to death. 

Sometimes our journeys through life can be overwhelmingly difficult, discouraging and heartbreaking and I’ve pondered how in the New Testament, we are told by the Apostle Paul, “In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God.” (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

and in the Doctrine and Covenants - Thou shalt thank the Lord thy God in all things. (D&C 59:7)
Give thanks for EVERY thing? How is that possible? All things? Really? We are supposed to give thanks even for bad things like being in bondage or persecuted by bullies? Even for the illness or death of a loved one? Even if you lose your job or home? Even for the heartbreak of divorce? Even for the sorrow of your children no longer attending church? Every thing? 

the Lord taught Alma and his people how this is possible…

And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage. 14 And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions. (Mosiah 24:13)

I know the Lord has visited me in my dark moments of sorrow. He continues to ease my burdens of fear, hurt, anger doubt or confusion when I turn these things over to Him. 

President Thomas S. Monson shared in his 2008 Conference talk - Finding Joy in the Journey, that: 
Our realization of what is most important in life goes hand in hand with gratitude for our blessings. This is our one and only chance at mortal life—here and now. The longer we live, the greater is our realization that it is brief. Opportunities come, and then they are gone. I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and nonexistent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now.

There have been plenty of times when I wished I felt joy and gratitude but the overwhelm and sorrow of life made that seem impossible. 

But I am learning that even if we don’t feel grateful we can start practicing gratitude, which means taking the time to notice the good in our lives and making the effort to appreciate it, no matter how small it may seem and I find that the feeling follows the action. I have also started asking Heavenly Father for specific blessings to ease my burdens and strengthen me so that I can be able to thank Him in all things. 

Said one well-known author: “Both abundance and lack [of abundance] exist simultaneously in our lives, as parallel realities. It is always our conscious choice which secret garden we will tend … when we choose not to focus on what is missing from our lives but are grateful for the abundance that’s present—love, health, family, friends, work, the joys of nature, and personal pursuits that bring us [happiness]—the wasteland of illusion falls away and we experience heaven on earth.”

We are each on our own individualized journey through life, to the promised land of becoming like our Savior. Like the people in the scriptures, there may be comforts or possessions or attitudes we need to leave behind, it may seem like we are wandering in the wilderness for a long time or there may be hardships or setbacks and disappointments. But we have a Savior to turn to for help in our times of distress. 

We can pray like Alma the younger who during a dark time remembered his father’s teachings of the Savior - Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death. 19 And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more. 20 And oh, what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain!

As President Monson shared: 
I pray that all of us will reflect gratitude for our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. He taught us how to pray. He taught us how to serve. He taught us how to live. His life is a legacy of love. Let us follow Him. Let us emulate His example. Let us obey His word. By so doing, we give to Him the divine gift of gratitude.

I am eternally thankful for our merciful Savior who will guide us to joy if we will allow ourselves to be led. 


Comments

Popular Posts