Road Trip!

Sorting, donating, selling, cleaning and packing are exhausting! I knew this from previous moving experiences and was dreading it. Which is why I procrastinated as long as possible and enjoyed every moment I could spend with loved ones. I feel such a deep sense of gratitude to all the many friends who helped me celebrate and prepare for this move, who helped me pack and haul stuff to Goodwill and who helped clean and encouraged me in a million ways - you truly saved my sanity and helped make it all possible. Thank you! You're in my heart forever!

Thanks Angel, Lynda, Jennie & Stacie and GVW for the fun party!
Thanks for lunch and car snacks Marnie! 

Caleb and Sam moved into their place on Monday, taking a majority of my furniture and once everything was packed and cleaned and locked up I got in my loaded car with my conflicted heart and drove off Saturday morning.
Stuck in traffic - not an auspicious way to begin...
The open road...
Last rest stop - farewell Colorado, I'll see you again someday...












Saturday night I arrived in Iowa to visit and recuperate with my sister Julie. She and Brian and Morgan live in a lovely town with lush greenery surrounding their delightful home. It was a haven of rest, love and fun and I didn't realize (although I know Caleb and others did) how stressed I had been until I had a little time to unwind.

Thanks for taking care of me Julie...
and for the laughs!
Picture perfect Morgan!



When it finally came time to go I reluctantly started the rest of the journey alone. Traveling cross country without knowing anyone seems lonely and a little more intimidating. I thought of the times I have driven from Virginia to Utah or from Florida to California with my kids and how that seemed much more like an adventure because of their companionship.
It may be packed but I can still see out the back. 

I had a plan to stop overnight in Michigan City, Illinois then Erie, Pennsylvania the next night to hopefully visit with my cousin Jackie and Syracuse, New York before finally arriving in Massachusetts. 

Between Erie, PA and Syracuse I continued my avoiding toll roads route and planned to visit Niagara Falls and Palmyra, NY. I hadn't done any research on either place, but I remember having visited when I was a child and expected to be able to figure things out once I arrived.

What I didn't realize is how lovely a drive it would be as I drove past lakeside cottages, vines that supplied grapes for the Welch's jelly factory in Northern PA and charming homes that reminded me of happy memories visiting my grandparents and cousins in Pennsylvania.    

Driving past Welch's grape vines and the factory where they pack the jelly. 



Orange day lilies, standard side of the road flower. 
Light house on the shore of Lake Erie. 


View of Niagara Falls from Goat Island. 
Niagara Falls was impressive and mesmerizing but seeing it alone wasn't quite as fun as sharing it with someone else so I set my GPS for Palmyra New York. 

Because I had been driving for hours on end my thoughts had repeatedly turned to whether or not I could handle going back to school. Would I be able to do quality work? Would I make any friends? How should I get ready? What would be the best use of my time? Which classes should I take to prepare me for the future? What would God have me learn to be able to use my talents and abilities? Did I have any talents and abilities? Would I be able to build a new life? Would I be able to get a job?  I was keenly feeling the need for the kind of wisdom that comes from God on how to go about making this life change and had been pondering James 1:5 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." 

Although I knew that Palmyra, NY was one of our church's historic sites I didn't really consider what had actually happened there and what I would find, but as I neared my destination there was a sign directing me to the Joseph Smith Farm and Sacred Grove and I realized that this was no coincidence. 

I arrived at the visitor's center just as a tour was leaving so I joined them as they walked out the door and we walked over to a replica of the log cabin Joseph Smith lived in with his family as a young man.

 Our tour group consisted of myself and a family whose parents spoke only Spanish, so their adult daughter was translating for them. As part of the tour I was asked to read the scripture open on the table.

As I looked down and saw that the Bible was open to James 1:5 - the scripture that Joseph Smith had pondered regarding which church he should join, my heart skipped a beat. As I read those words aloud it was a powerfully spiritual moment, my voice caught in my throat and I wasn't the only one with tears in my eyes. I felt a reassurance that God was aware of my needs, concerns and feelings of being alone and that the promise was and is true - that God will give us wisdom if we will ask for it.

As the tour finished up we had the opportunity to walk through the forest behind the Smith farm where Joseph, when he was a young man, went to pray out loud for the first time in his life.

 I sat down on a bench to ponder my own experiences with God's guidance and goodness and to consider the wisdom that I needed from Him. I prayed in my heart and mind to ask that he would give me specific wisdom for my own particular life. That He would give me wisdom about how to support, teach and love my children. That He would grant me wisdom about how to best prepare myself as a teacher and develop skills and abilities to be able to serve others. That He would give me wisdom to seek out good friends, and supportive, uplifting relationships and help me build a meaningful life. That He would give me wisdom to be able to live the life He wants for me.

With gratitude in my heart and tears running down my cheeks, I looked up as the mother from our tour group sat down on the bench. There were other benches throughout the forest but she wanted to say something to me. I wish I spoke Spanish better but she said it was 'no importante' and wiped away my tears, held my hand, smiled and gave me a hug. As she walked away she patted her heart. I too felt God's love that day.

 As I slowly walked back to my car my heart was full and I drove into town to the building where the first 5000 copies of the Book of Mormon were printed. I drove past and hesitated, not sure I wanted to disrupt the sacred feelings I had experienced in the grove. But there must be something worth seeing inside, I thought as I drove past again. But it was getting late and I didn't want to miss the Hill Cumorah, although I wasn't sure there was anything to see there, as I drove past again. But I probably wouldn't be coming back this way again so I might as well stop, I thought as I finally pulled into a parking space in front of the building. As I arrived it looked like I would have the whole place to myself but the sister missionary informed me that a tour had just left so I could join them as soon as she shared a little info about the first room where the final printed copies were sold.

I came up behind the group as they were looking at one of the original copies of the Book of Mormon and to all of our surprise it was my beloved Diana and Lonn and their children. The timing was too remarkable to not see the divine tender mercy. We finished the tour and had dinner together before parting ways and feeling doubly blessed.



As I ended my visit to Palmyra with a stop at the Hill Cumorah, where Joseph received the record which was to be translated into the Book of Mormon, I considered how unaware Joseph must have been of the future that God had planned for him when he first prayed for wisdom in the forest behind his home.

I realize that I also have no idea what the future might hold for me but I feel a greater desire to stay close to God, seek His guidance, and see what lies ahead on this path that He is opening up for me.


 









Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts